About the authors
Jennifer Greene is DOVE's lead author. She came to Unitarian Universalism in her youth, when her family began attending Cedar Lane Unitarian Church in Bethesda, Maryland. She has served as the religious education (RE) director at the South Nassau Unitarian Universalist Congregation in Freeport, NY; interim RE consultant for the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the Great South Bay in Sayville, NY; and board member for the Unitarian Universalist Animal Ministry.Greene has also worked as Public Health Program Manager at The Humane Society of the United States. She created a family and consumer sciences curriculum for New York Coalition for Healthy School Food, and she is a certified instructor with Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. For much of her life, she ate meat, eggs, and dairy; now she eats a plant-based diet, opts for fair-trade products as much as possible, and wants to grow food in her front yard. Greene studied economics at Rice University and holds a master’s degree in sociology from the University of Michigan.
Greene can be reached at jrg1232 at gmail.com.
Bassett, an animal lover from birth, was raised on a standard American diet. As an adult, she evolved to a vegan diet once she learned the whys and hows of doing so, and now she enjoys introducing others to delicious, healthy food that’s cruelty-free and good for the planet as well. She founded and leads a free support group in southern California for those interested in learning more about plant-based eating. Bassett works full time in the field of healthcare technology, is a certified Project Management Professional and graduated from the University of California Santa Barbara. She and her husband live in southern California.
Although they have never met in person and live on opposite coasts, Bassett and Greene are kindred spirits who connected through the magic of social media. Their shared passion for aligning one’s dietary choices with one’s values led Bassett to assist Greene in the development of this program.
Bassett can be reached at diane at dianebassett.com.

3 Comments:
On reading this, I see that rather than an exploration of ethical eating, it is a biased presentation offering veganism as the only moral choice. I would not have taken it had I known. Not only because my personal health improved after I (reluctantly) went back to eating animal products, but mostly because your "facts" about climate change are lies that base all your animal data on industrial agriculture. I'll say more if you let me know you're interested in conversation - otherwise not.
Dear Anonymous,
I welcome the conversation. Yes, please say more—but I ask that you do so as gently as you can.
(Have you read the Ground Rules and Communication Skills section of the Orientation? It's here: http://dovecurriculum.blogspot.com/2013/04/introduction.html)
For instance, instead of saying that the facts presented here about climate change are "lies," you might say this:
"I would like to see DOVE present the following information about the impact of animal agriculture on climate..." and then point us toward the evidence you think is important to consider.
If you are willing to communicate with me in private about your experience as a course participant, I welcome that as well. You can reach me at DOVEcurriculum@gmail.com.
Sincerely,
Jennifer
Dear Anonymous,
It's been a month since your message, and my initial reply. Did you change your mind about wanting to say more? I really do welcome the conversation. I'm still hoping to hear from you again.
It sounded like you were surprised that this curriculum promotes plant-based recipes. But the first call to action in the 2011 Statement of Conscience is to "increase our proportionate consumption of plant-based foods." As for veganism being the only moral choice, did you see the "Animal Products and Medical Necessity" page? I hope you've had a chance to read that by now.
As for the implication that "non-industrial" animal agriculture is environmentally benign or even beneficial, I understand the appeal of that belief. I really do. But eco-conscious consumers should be skeptical about marketing claims. After all, anything can be "sustainable" if hardly anyone does it. I worry about the elitism of promoting practices that only a small number of us can or ought to engage in.
I also worry about the forced impregnation, family separation, and slaughter that are inherent to animal agriculture (whether or not it's "industrial").
As a Unitarian Universalist, I recognize and affirm that each individual's own conscience is their final authority. DOVE is a resource which aims to increase knowledge and awareness so that individuals can make choices that better reflect values of peace, justice, sustainability, and compassion. If we aren't fully aware, how free and informed can our choices really be?
Let knowledge and awareness grow among UUs. Let there be true freedom of choice. And may love-powered and justice-promoting choices help to heal our hurting world.
Sincerely,
Jennifer
Post a Comment